6.25.2008

Oh, the Joys of Motherhood!

I have been thinking about how nice it has been lately for my kids to play together. Anna has really been understanding a lot more and Justin is being a lot more understanding. Yesterday they played for an HOUR without any teasing from Justin, squealing from Anna or fighting in general. Today there was much of the same...It just brings joy to my mommy heart to see my kids happy and get along.


Well, you can imagine how I felt when I hadn't heard or seen them in a while and found them playing happily on the porch. I peered through the curtains and kept my presence concealed to enjoy that "shining moment of joy and satisfaction" and thrilled in the excitement displayed on their cute little faces. Then, instantly, my joy turned to disgust when I saw what they were playing with. They each had their very own partially alive, mainly dead cockroach that had been slowly lulled into an eternal, dark sleep a few hours earlier by the pest control guy.
They were studying God's marvelous creatures with wonder and amazement only a child (or entomologist) could have for such a decrepit specimen. I just thought of germs, pesticides and the goo they had squished from their bodies. Next, I did what any mother would do....I took a picture of the "special" moment. Well, most mothers would probably forget the picture and head straight for the antibacterial soap...I did the scrubbing shortly after while teaching Justin yet another lesson about the undesirable qualities of a cockroach.

I hope you are all as privileged as a mother to enjoy precious moments such as this. If you have such a lovely tale, do tell, and we can bask in the joy together!!!

15 comments:

i said...

I just looked at the pic. again and realized that Justin appears to be eating the roach...No, just studying it WAY too closely!

Chelsea said...

NO JOKE----- the other day, Kallin was in our bathroom and he had something in his mouth... Kenny took a closer look, Half a very mid sized roach. Thank the stars we got it out before he could continue to suck on it, and later we found the other half.

PookaB said...

When we lived in the roach hole, one of the things that got us to leave was that we caught Ivy just before she put a roach in her mouth. I am SO glad we are out of there!

Amy said...

I would have grabbed the camera, too.
BTW - I love your blog! Your kids are adorable and I am sure they were even more adorable playing with one another.

lilmegmo said...

I love the picture of anna holding up the roach! She is so excited to be showing you her treasure!

Mansius Family said...

Yuck but so cute! I'm glad the kidos seems to be getting along. More and more Joshua and Eliza are becoming the same way. Its nice not to have to worry about them picking on each other and watching them learn to play on their own.

Our last apartment had a ton of roaches. James taught Joshua to use the fly swatter on them. His favorite thing to do was swat roaches.

Angie Larkin said...

Look how triumphant Anna is with her roach! It is interesting how kids aren't afraid of things until we teach them to be. Your yard is looking great! I haven't seen any of it! Nice boulders and pad and shade!

Derpina Derp said...

EWWWWWW! I'm soooooo glad my kids are deathly afraid of all creepy crawlies! (A trait I'm sure they inherited from watching me.)

Elizabeth Dover said...

I am sorry. I have seen Porter try and do the same thing, to study them. Yuck! And rush him off to be washed. He hasn't done it again yet. No fun

Melissa said...

Oh blech!! lol What is it with kids being fascinated by bugs???

raffleckt said...

Oh, this story sends shivers up my spine! I would have died. You are all brave, brave women! I know I would not have been able to retrieve it. I would have rushed them to a stream of water to rinse off with my eyes closed! You are a good mom for being so reasonable about it!

The Calvert Family said...

When Emma was younger and we lived in nasty dirty apartments she was out playing on the patio, when I looked out to check on her she was on her belly toying with something. On closer inspection I discovered a full grown BLACK WIDOW! So we had a talk probably pretty similar to yours, but yeah. SCARY!

ShaLayne said...

I can't believe your kids picked them up. My kids go running & screaming the other way, whenever they see a bug. Then they refuse to go back into the room until they know for certain it is gone. I have one more job added to my hat "bug killer".

Zach and Nikki said...

And I thought rolley polleys were bad! Ewwww! Fortunately, Lincoln hasn't found any of those yet. Ah, the curiosity of a child.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy every minute of it Sweet Julie! You're doing a great job!!
They grow up way too fast!!! Love, MOM