3.06.2008

One boy, Two wheels.

Recently, Justin thought you had to be 8 to ride a bike with 2 wheels. That all changed when he saw a little neighbor boy, Billy ride his bike at age 4. It gave him hope for himself and altered his view of life for the better...So yesterday morning he asked if he could take his training wheels off of his bike! I thought, sure, why not give it a try? What could it hurt anyway? (Well...I guess his body.) Dad took them off and walked holding his bike while Justin pedaled. If he let go, he fell. The prospects were grim.

Justin begged again last night so I went out with him and practiced. It was such a fun moment as a parent to run along as he rode. I couldn't believe it, but within half and hour he was riding all by himself! He only rode into a parked car once had only two big crashes got lots of scrapes and didn't shed a single tear! What a fun day to be a mommy! I don't know who was more thrilled, him or me.Bears on Wheels has been requested a lot lately in our house for some odd reason. Maybe it's been Justin's inspiration!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats to "Justin on Wheels!"

kristi r said...

yea! That's so fun! GO JUSTIN!

Mansius Family said...

Congrats Justin!

The Calvert Family said...

That's so fun. It will be a while before we get Emma riding on her own I think.

Melissa said...

That is one of my FAVORITE memories for my oldest! Helping him learn and then watching him take off... sigh... seems like a strange kind of metaphor for life, eh?